Sunday, March 1, 2015

Google+ & Class 2.0

I tried two “community” websites, Google+ Communities and Classroom 2.0.

Google+ Communities is kind of handy, since I am already a Google+ user. I was recommended with many users I had contacted with, which was cool to see some familiar faces. I joined three communities, TED, ELLs and FLT. Members of communities may share texts, pictures, videos… everything with other members, and they can comment on others’ posts. Interactions are realized in comments. I also tried to establish a community myself and posed the first entry. The whole layout was clear and neat. The community can be public or private, which means you may get to decide who can be in your circles. I believe that it would be a wonderful place for interaction journal keeping between students and the teacher. Students may publish whatever they want to share, and the teacher would interact with them in comments. Dialogue journals are often used inn SCT, which I have always wanted to try. The biggest problem here is that Google is blocked for Chinese users, so my students wouldn't be able to use the tool. What a pity! 


Class 2.0 is a comprehensive forum community for participants. One may find everything there, forum, books, audio resources, projects, conferences... I believe it is a wonderful source for us teachers to exchange ideas with peers and learn from them. It is not a student-teacher interactive community, though. Unlike the interactions realized in comments on Google+, interactions on Class 2.0 are realized in traditional forum. Users follow each entry and interact with each other under one entry, one after another. Users may check on the poster's all discussions and follow her and add her to the contact. It is a traditional way of forum community, helpful for group discussions. I may find interesting sparkles in the discussions, but I will not use it as an interactive forum with my students. 

1 comment:

  1. I hope that by trying out various tools, you do find a good one for student-teacher interaction.

    ReplyDelete